EAT RAINBOW LOVE


University of Birmingham graduate with a passion for food & cooking as part of a healthy lifestyle

Twitter: @EatRainbowLove
Instagram: lottierainbow

Monday 11 June 2012

Chicken chasseur with new potatoes in parsley butter

So this doesn't look particularly appetising... it looked better in real life! I've had one of those schwartz (but the Tesco version) chicken chasseur packet mixes lying around for ages and instead of using it I thought, I'm gonna make it from scratch! It went really well - I looked at a few different recipes beforehand and decided on the ingredients I wanted to use (or had in the house) and the result was scrummy. I'm not a huge fan of new potatoes (does anyone else think they taste weird?) so lathering them in butter and parsley was a genius idea. There is parsley in the chasseur as well so this worked nicely, as would parsley mash - I've made this before and it's delicious. You can tell I have a lot of parsley to use up... my mum bought a lot because it's a key ingredient in my favourite meal which she cooked me the other day (may share this recipe with you soon!) so I've been trying to use it up. Another great way to use parsley is making a lemon and parsley sauce (parsley, lemon juice, butter) which is yummy with chicken (just flatten and fry some chicken breasts). Chicken chasseur traditionally has wine in it but we didn't have any in the house and it tasted fine without, just not as rich I suppose. I have never really cooked this meal before and it made a really nice change - I would never really put chicken and chopped tomatoes together but, hey, it works! I used chicken thighs because they're much more moist and tender than chicken breast when cooked this way.

Serves 2
For chicken chasseur
- drizzle of olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 4 rashers bacon, cut into large pieces
- 2-3 chicken thighs, skinless and boneless, cut into chunks
- 150g button mushrooms, or larger mushrooms, quartered
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 beef stock cube
- dash of Worcestershire sauce 
- large handful of fresh parsley, chopped

For potatoes
- 450-500g jersey royal potatoes
- large knob of butter
- handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- salt & pepper


1. Heat the olive oil in a deep pan and fry the garlic and onion for a few minutes until softened. Add the bacon and cook for a further few minutes, until the bacon begins to brown. Add the chicken pieces for around 5 minutes, or until they are cooked through and browned.
2. Add the mushrooms and stir to coat in the oil/bacon and chicken fat. Continue to cook until reduced in size and softened. Add the plain flour and stir until coated and a sort of paste has been formed. Pour in the chopped tomatoes and crumble in the beef stock cube. Boil for about 10 minutes, or until thickened.
3. Pour in a dash of Worcestershire sauce and add the parsley. Season to taste and serve with the new potatoes (see below).

1. Boil the potatoes in salted water for 20-25 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a small pan, melt the butter and stir in the parsley.
3. Once the potatoes are softened, drain, and stir in the parsley butter and serve with the chasseur and green vegetables (I cooked green beans).

Enjoy :)

1 comment:

  1. This looks really tasty I have bookmarked it as I love chicken chasseur. It looks really easy to make

    Please check out www.thediaryofajewellerylover.co.uk

    ReplyDelete